As an electrician in Brooklyn, NY, we often get asked about electrical safety. While most people think that electricity is safe as long as you’re careful, the fact is that it can be dangerous if you’re not careful.
That’s why we’ve put together this list of 7 electrical safety tips that everyone should know.
- Always use a licensed electrician.
If you’re planning on doing any electrical work, it’s important to use a licensed electrician. While many people claim to be “electricians,” not all of them are licensed and qualified to do the job. So, ensure to research and pick the best electricians in Brooklyn, NY to avoid any accidents.
- Don’t overload outlets.
One of the most common ways that people get electrocuted is by overloaded outlets. When you plug several devices into a single outlet, it can cause a dangerous buildup of electricity that can lead to a fire or an electrical shock. Be sure to spread out your devices and only plug in as many as the outlet can handle.
- Use extension cords wisely.
Extension cords are a great way to get power to devices that are far away from outlets, but they can also be dangerous if used improperly. For example, never use an extension cord with a device that produces heat, such as a hair dryer or space heater. Additionally, make sure to unplug extension cords when you’re not using them and never overload them with too many devices.
- Be careful with water and electricity.
Water and electricity don’t mix! If you’re working with electrical appliances near water, be extra careful to avoid any accidents. Likewise, if there’s been a storm or flood, always assume that any downed power lines are live and dangerous.
- Don’t tamper with electrical equipment.
If you don’t know what you’re doing, it’s best to leave electrical work to the professionals. Trying to repair or tamper with electrical equipment can be extremely dangerous and is one of the leading causes of electrocution accidents. When it comes to installing or servicing residential HVAC wiring in Brooklyn, NY, always call a licensed electrician.
- Keep flammable materials away from electrical appliances.
Another common cause of house fires is flammable materials being too close to electrical appliances. For example, don’t store paper or cloth near a space heater or keep lighters next to the stove. By taking these precautions, you can help prevent a fire from starting in your home.
- Test your smoke detectors regularly.
Smoke detectors are an important part of any home’s fire safety system. Be sure to test them monthly and replace the batteries at least once a year. Additionally, it’s a good idea to have a fire extinguisher in your home in case of an emergency.
By following these electrical safety tips, you can help prevent accidents in your home. Remember, if you’re ever unsure about something, it’s always best to call a licensed electrician. They’ll be able to safely and properly take care of any electrical work that needs to be done.
Tips To Hire The Best Electricians In Brooklyn, NY!
Hiring an electrician is a big decision since they will be working with one of the most important aspects of your home – your wiring.
Here are 3 tips on how to choose the best electricians in Brooklyn, NY:
- Get recommendations – The best way to find a good electrician is by word-of-mouth. Ask your friends and family if they know any reputable electricians in town. If they don’t, you can always check online directories or forums for recommendations.
- Check qualifications – Once you have a few names, the next step is to check their qualifications. Make sure that they are licensed and insured. It would also be helpful if they have undergone background checks. This will give you peace of mind knowing that you’re working with someone qualified and trustworthy.
- Ask for quotes – Once you’ve narrowed down your choices, ask for quotes from each electrician. This will help you compare rates and see which one offers the best value for money. Don’t just go for the cheapest option, though – make sure that you’re getting quality services as well.
Following these tips will help ensure that you hire the best electrician for the job. Contact James Lewis Electrical Corp. at 347-365-3166 to schedule an appointment.